(15 years and under)
Tongariro Crossing Day Walk Summary
Hike New Zealand's best walk, the Tongariro Alpine Crossing, with a friendly and passionate local guide. Walking Legends' professional, all-inclusive service make this the easiest, most convenient, and rewarding way to experience one of the world's top hikes.
- Have an exclusive guide for yourself / your group
- Hike at your own pace
- Enjoy the entire 19km alpine track, or turn back at any point that you choose
- Carry a day pack only
- Experienced and knowledgeable local guides
- Exclusive Group Pricing = $350 p/p for min 2 people. $200 for extra adults, $100 for extra children
- Includes: Delicious lunch, snacks and drinks; trail map; professional local guide; door-to-door private transport from Whakapapa or National Park Village; raincoats, day packs, walking sticks and warm clothing are available to borrow free of charge.
- Transport from Taupo, Turangi etc can also be arranged
Tongariro Crossing Track Description
7 hours walking, or less if you desire
Approx 7 - 8am your exclusive local guide will pick you up from your Whakapapa or National Park accommodation. A short drive leads to the start of the world-famous Tongariro Alpine Crossing.
Recognised as the world’s best walk, the Tongariro Alpine Crossing is a fascinating and challenging 7-8 hour (19km) hike through a dramatic volcanic and alpine environment. With the assistance of your exclusive guide you can choose to walk as much or as little of the track as you please, at the pace that best suits your private party.
The track runs through the Mangatepopo Valley (900m) to the saddle between Tongariro and Ngauruhoe Mountains. Two steep climbs lead to Red Crater (1886m), then a scree slope drops down to the vivid Emerald Lakes. After passing the Green and Blue lakes the track then sidles around the northern slope of Mount Tongariro with great views of Lake Taupo, before the descent of switch-backs and steps to the end (600m).
Your private transport awaits you at the end of the track, with well-deserved celebration refreshments.
Approx 4pm return to your Tongariro National Park or Whakapapa Village accommodation.
Walking Legends’ professional, all-inclusive service make this the easiest, most convenient and rewarding way to experience this life-altering hike. Caring and friendly guides will ensure you walk at a relaxed pace, so you can relish the jaw-dropping views, spectacular geology & frequent refreshment breaks.
Your guide carry’s a first aid kit, communications, safety equipment and extra refreshments so you can relax in the knowledge that you are in good hands! We look forward to sharing this special walk with you!
The Tongariro Alpine Crossing is a weather dependent walk. We recommend you allow a few days to get a good weather window. Have a look at our 3-day Tongariro Hiking Tour, which we designed specifically for this purpose!