All our trips are run according to our Environmental Policy, which incorporates the Department of Conservation's Environmental and Water Care Codes. We are Department of Conservation Concessionaire Holders - License number ECHB-24575-GUI
We hold an Enviro Silver Award from Qualmark in recognition of our efforts toward responsible tourism.
The bush is a taonga - a treasure for all. It must be preserved for future generations.
The areas we walk in possess exceptional and fragile natural ecosystems. We endeavour to keep learning about the ecological processes at work and how we can best operate within them, while enhancing our visitors appreciation of the areas unique natural and cultural resources.
Our philosophy is education through experience: Maximum enjoyment with minimum impact.
Keeping groups to a small size on our guided walks enable us to achieve these objectives, and allow our clients to enjoy a true New Zealand wilderness experience.
Some of our practices include:
- Supporters and sponsors of the Waikaremoana Kiwi Recovery Team
- Maintaining our own pest traps on the Lake Waikaremoana Track
- Members of "The Friends of Te Urewera", a volunteer association dedicated to preserving conservation and recreation values in Te Urewera National Park
- Committee members of Te Urewera Rainforest Route, a not-for-profit society committed to supporting the growth of ecotourism along the Te Urewera Rainforest Route in a sustainable manner. www.teurewera.co.nz
- Financial supporters of Greenpeace
- Financial supporters of Project Tongariro. Assisting with conservation work in Tongariro National Park. www.tongariro.org.nz
- Supporting Kauri revegetation in the Coromandel. Every walker on our Coromandel Explorer Walk has the opportunity to plant a Kauri tree.
- Using biodegradable and natural products when possible www.ecostore.co.nz
- Recycling all plastics, glass, tin, paper and cardboard. Composting green waste
- Using recycled & non-bleached toilet paper & office paper
- Using free range eggs
- Supporting New Zealand and local businesses. www.earthseasky.co.nz
- Every visitor generates their own ecological footprint. This tool allows you to calculate your carbon emission footprint and suggests ways to offset it. www.carbonzero.co.nz
We are constantly looking at ways to improve our environmental performance, and welcome any feedback or questions you may have.